Thursday, August 16, 2012

the soon-to-be middle one

This summer Grayson has stolen my heart. I love the baby phase, but there's nothing like that personality that starts to come out at 15 months or so and boy, this little man has been all personality this summer!


We are most certainly into the terrible 2's with him. He kicks, he screams, he has tantrums, he throws, he hits. But when he wants to be sweet...watch out.


He has become a chatter box and says everything Ilana does, but in a 2-year-old kind of way. I understand him about 95% of the time and, for a 2 year old, he has quite the vocabulary.


He cries and screams every time I change his diaper. I explain to him that I wouldn't have to change his diaper if he went to the potty. His reply: "NO!" So, we're waiting on that.


He is ALL BOY. Grayson LOVES to dig, build with blocks, play with his choo choo trains, cars, trucks or any vehicle. He knows more varieties of trucks than I do and can identify them all.


He'll make anything into a weapon, especially anything stick-like in shape. He loves to climb, run, wrestle and jump.


We changed his crib into a toddler bed (one less transition after the baby's born), and he crawls into bed with Ilana when he wakes up in the morning and at nap time. He likes it, even though it infuriates her.


He most certainly knows how to push Ilana's buttons. We're still working on sharing - I have a feeling we will be for the next 20 years. My one sibling (brother) is 6 years older than me, so I didn't have the typical "close sibling issues" that mine do. Wow, they are for real! Definitely a love-hate relationship. He is into whatever she is. She is in a "Lyle the crocodile" phase right now and so, of course, he is too. They speak in "crocodile" to each other and love tromping around, which inevitably turns into a wrestling match. It's precious and enraging all at the same time.


His emotional outbursts, although fierce, are not nearly as long-lasting as Ilana's. He'll have a tantrum, and fully express how upset he is, but then he's over it. Same with boo-boos. The one emotional incident he fully remembers, though, is when he hit me, from 2 feet away, in the head with a golf ball. My neighbor (who witnessed the throw) and I are convinced he'll be a pitcher or quarterback someday. He's got quite the arm. I had a nice welt and few-day headache to prove it. He was sorry. I couldn't understand how I could be so mad and so in love with someone at the same time.


I am fully aware this time around that my relationship with this sweet little man will change when his baby sister is born. I will change. He will change. I am doing my best to soak up all that he is these days. They are fleeting. Soon, not only will he be the only boy, but he will also be "the middle child." Oh boy!


I had a nurse-midwife appointment last week. Everything looks great. Despite the "any day now?" comments, I'm measuring right on time. This baby girl is a mover. The kids have both been able to feel her move and kick. Paul feels her all the time.

Nesting is fully underway (yes, we got a new living room rug - pictured above). The 0-3 month clothes are already out and the rest are completely organized and ready to go. The list of possible names is constantly changing. The hospital bag list is saved on my phone. My mom was here last week and we changed up our living room and dining room window treatments. The playroom is coming along. This apartment is starting to really feel like home and I love it! We've been fully soaking up this summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was so GREAT to be with you all last week and see the children in action. I am thankful for this blog, Facebook, and Skype so that we can watch them growing up. I think your house and heart are ready for that new baby...Love and hugs! Nonni