Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the "Mom Bag"

Well, I can't seem to upload the video of the family howl today either, so instead I'm going to tell you the story of my "Mom Bag."
Every Mom of more than 1 child that I know has, what I refer to as, a "Mom Bag." These mysterious bags are big enough to hold countless useful articles (diapers, clothes, an infinite amount of toys, wallet, cell phone, etc.) yet small enough to take everywhere. At the last MOPS meeting in Waco I asked the Mom whose bag I had been admiring all semester, where she got her bag. To my surprise she said she made it and it was super easy. So (naturally), I asked my Mom to make me my very own Mom Bag from the same pattern. She graciously agreed and when she was down in Waco for graduation we went out, bought the pattern, fabric, interfacing ... everything we'd need to make this Mom Bag of mine. Of course, I photographed the whole process, so here goes:
We bought our fabric...

and got all set up.

Things were going great!

I did the pinning and planning...

and my Mom did all the sewing and ironing.

Then we had to make the gussets. (!!)

HUH??!! I was completely lost.

But of course, my Mom figured it out - she's so smart.
Ilana got a little involved...

and viola!! You have a Mom Bag!!

I love it.

I love it. I love it. I love it! I have it with me always and wear it as often as I can. Now all I need is the second baby. :) HAHA! We've still got a little while and A LOT of details that need to get in place before he comes along. But you get the idea. (I think I was around 25 weeks pregnant when this picture was taken. Yes, I am bigger now.) Thanks, Momma!
-H

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT "MOM BAG"!!! I could not have done it without you. I still need to make Ilana's matching daughter bag! :-)) You look beautiful with your "Mom bag!"

Love and hugs,
Nonni

Carolyn said...

oh I love it!!! Nice work and great fabric choice. I may just have to steal your design and make one for myself...

Katie said...

I have totally wanted one of those bags!! I I have looked at them on Etsy several times. So proud of you for doing it yourself! You are so crafty. Talk to you later.

Alicia said...

I want a mom bag and I'm not even a mom yet! Love it!

Amy said...

Oh Heather, I LOVE this bag. And I LOVE that you read our blog. I had no idea. How fun! The boys are going to have so much fun reading through the comments and answering back. Thanks for saying 'hi'.

Your little girl is adorable! Congrats on baby boy on the way. So excited to catch up with you!