Thursday, November 3, 2011

a death at the zoo

When Nonni was in town last week we finally ventured down to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It is free to get in, but you have to pay to park in the parking lot (welcome to the city). I was amazed at how close it was, and how easy it was to get all around.

When we got there the first thing we saw were the big cats. We went inside and were pretty close.
 

Then it happened.
I dropped our Canon PowerShot SD800 IS digital camera.

I've dropped it before, but never when it was on and the lens was fully zoomed. I tried pushing the power button and it made an awful noise. That was when I knew I had killed it. I knew it almost immediately and could almost just as immediately live the conversation I was going to have to have with Paul. ugh

This was our first digital camera. We got it when I was pregnant with Ilana (only 4 years ago). We've been talking about getting a DSLR for awhile now, but everyone I talk to that has a DSLR still has their "point and shoot" camera. All I knew in the moment was that our family was digital camera-less except for my iphone.

Well, I took a few minutes and mourned the loss of a great camera then went on with our zoo experience. Thankfully Nonni brought her's so we just used that one the rest of the time. Did I remember to get the pictures off of it before she left? NO. Oh well.

Despite the death of our camera, we had a blast at the zoo. Ilana was really excited about the monkeys so we saved those for last. She searched and searched for Curious George, but he apparently doesn't live at the Lincoln Park Zoo. Paul actually called wanting to go out to lunch with us and I had to tell him about our dead camera over the phone (not how I had lived it before). He was surprisingly ok with it. He told me to simply "let it go." I did. We had a fabulous lunch at Ian's Pizza (that we've talked about on our blog here - I'm so glad we revisited it!). They have a seasonal "pumpkin pie pizza." It. was. to. die. for. Almost as good as their "s'mores pizza." YES PLEASE!!

That night Paul took apart the camera, just to see if he could figure out what actually broke on it.
It wasn't fixable.

So the hunt for a DSLR has begun.

Not having a digital camera makes blogging a challenge. So, we're going to be working backwards a bit here. I'm still going to blog, but the pictures will have to be from before last week or from my phone until we get a new camera (a DSLR - yes I'm excited!). We're planning on taking advantage of the day after Thanksgiving day sales to make that happen.

Rest in peace digital camera. I'm sorry I killed you. You served our family extremely well for 4 solid years.

1 comment:

Alison said...

our point and shoot died while falling from the coffee table after being set up to take our Christmas picture last year.....hello DLSR (two months later) - it's wonderful and so FAST. you'll love it!